Belgian Shoes seem (to me, at least) to be the ultimate college footwear.
Most college students seem to favor hoodies, pajama pants or sweatpants, and sneakers, flip-flops, or Topsiders. Sometimes even slippers, or Uggs if they’re female.
It’s a mixture of sleepwear, athletic wear, and loungewear. Not ideal as far as these things go.
Belgians, however, are the most versatile shoes in the world once you get past the bow. They’re essentially bedroom slippers that you can wear to a black tie event as long as they’re the right color. It doesn’t matter whether they’re brand new or old and worn out; they look great either way.
Perfect for throwing on en route to an early morning class, or extracurricular drinking. Much better than flip flops.
With this in mind, I’d like to establish something of a uniform for myself when I go off to college, just to wear around the dorms. It’ll be comfortable, but still look put together.
Ideally, this would be:
- Brooks Extra-Slim-Fit Oxford button-down shirt
- Levi’s 501, raw or cream, hemmed with no break
- Tretorn Nylites, Alden LHS in #8 shell, or Belgian Shoes
- Navy blazer or herringbone sport coat, as required
- Olive Barbour Liddesdale jacket
- Ties, belts ‘n’ shit.
All of this will be worn until faded, frayed, and threadbare.
Now, I’ve just got to scrape together the requisite dough somehow and get the elements I don’t already have.
(And yes, I know, these are not true Belgians, but they’re pretty damn cool. As far as I’m concerned, the guys who make these are qualified to do so.)
- I'm going to steal the Declaration of Independence.
I’m going to steal the Declaration of Independence.
- Old People.Status (from teenager/young adult):I just had a sandwich. It was delicious.Comment (from relative over the age of 40):Hello Jim! I hope you're doing fantastic down where you are. I was just looking through some old pictures of you as a child and realized just how precious you were. LOL! When are you coming back up to visit? Your Uncle Jeff and I can't wait to see you again. We've got plenty of chores for you to do up here to help around the house. LOL! Just kidding Jim! How's your mother? I hope you're helping her out and being a good kid! But I have nothing to worry about, you're always a great kid! LOL! Hope all is well.